The fate of a restaurant depends on several crucial factors. One among them is the hygiene standards followed by a restaurant. These standards ensure the safety and well being of the customers and staff of the restaurant.
The sensitive situation from the ongoing pandemic COVID-19 has emphasized the need of utmost and standardized hygiene in a restaurant.
A few vital tips for restaurants to fight covid 19 are listed below.
1. Routine Examination of Dining Areas, Kitchen, and Restrooms
Routine checks and examinations must be done to ensure regular and frequent cleaning in the dining area, kitchen area, and restrooms. It is essential to maintain the restaurant cleanliness as per the hygiene standards mentioned in the COVID 19 regulations for restaurants.
- Fresh, unused towels must be used to clean the surfaces that come in contact with any food item.
- Smoking, drinking, or eating must be strictly banned in the kitchen area.
- Daily sterilizing of kitchen items such as blenders, cutting boards, and grills must be done.
- Sanitisation of chairs, tabletops, bar tops or any other restaurant furniture at least twice a day.
- Toilet seat, toilet bowl, and restroom floor to be cleaned every few hours.
2. Staff Training in Personal Hygiene Measures
Ensuring the personal hygiene of staff is a primary step mentioned in the tips for restaurants to fight covid 19. Basic personal hygiene gear such as gloves, clean clothes, hairnets, and other necessary tools must be made available to the staff. Some noteworthy points mentioned in the COVID 19 regulations for restaurants must be shared with the staff.
- Wash hands thoroughly and dry them before beginning work, beginning to cook, or between tasks.
- Maintain well-groomed nails without any trace of nail polish.
- Wear a clean uniform in every shift and change it before the next shift.
- Sanitize hands frequently (a minimum every 3 hours) and change gloves once they tear or get soiled.
- Wearing rubber gloves must be mandatory while operating the dishwasher.
- Any cut, injury, open sore, or wound anywhere on the arm or hands must be covered with a waterproof dressing.
- Hairnets, scarves, or hats must be worn when working in the kitchen.
- Jewelry must be minimal.
3. Appropriate Sanitizing of the Kitchen Equipment
The COVID 19 government restrictions mandate certain specific hygienic measures for the safety of staff of a restaurant.
- Stove, Oven, baking plate, Grill must be cleaned three times a week.
- The sanitizing liquid must be changed frequently.
- Cleaning of the garbage bins must be done repeatedly.
- Follow a deep cleaning routine of the equipment after every use.
4. Ensure Appropriate Ventilation in the Restaurant
Proper ventilation is of utmost importance for the safe storage and preparation of food. The presence of high heat and smoke lowers the performance level of the staff. The tips for Restaurants to Fight COVID 19 include the adoption of DCV (Demand Controlled Ventilation) or Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) technology for efficient ventilation in the restaurants.
5. Follow a Checklist for Restaurant Hygiene
A specific checklist with the list of cleaning duties, counter checks, and staff assigned must be prepared and scrutinized by the manager to be used in sync with the COVID 19 government restrictions.
Maintaining restaurant hygiene, especially during this pandemic has a direct impact on sales and long-term brand value. Hence, restaurants must take these steps seriously and provide safe services to their diners.